Westat NHANES - Bilingual Household Interviewer in Nationwide, United States
Job ID 12612BR
Job Title NHANES - Bilingual Household Interviewer
City US - Nationwide
Job Status Full-Time
Westat is currently seeking motivated individuals with a commitment to excellence for the ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The core of NHANES involves in-person household interviews and medical examinations conducted in a mobile examination center (MEC).
The Bilingual Household Interviewer position requires full-time, continuous travel for 48 weeks a year. Staff travel home only during two project-specified vacation breaks determined by the study schedule.
The Bilingual Household Interviewer locates and screens households to identify eligible respondents. The interviewer gains cooperation from the respondents and then conducts interviews using a laptop. Interviewers are also responsible for scheduling appointments for MEC exams and collecting environmental samples when required. Interviewers meet with the Study Manager and submit reports according to protocol.
· Be 18 years old;
· Be available to attend in-person training; and
· Be willing to complete Web-based training prior to in-person training.
· Be able to effectively communicate in written and spoken Spanish and English. Must successfully complete the Westat language assessment protocols;
· Have experience in survey research, outside sales, community/social work, health care, nutrition, teaching, or other professional experience working with the public;
· Have a high school diploma or GED equivalent;
· Be available to commit to at least 1 year of full-time continuous travel;
· Be willing to work 40 hours per week at specified days/times, primarily evenings and weekends;
· Be willing to travel nationally to designated counties for project work;
· Be able to meet the physical requirements of the position, with or without reasonable accommodations:
o Lift and carry 15 pounds of equipment and materials;
o Walk 2 blocks; and
o Climb a flight of stairs while carrying equipment; and
· Have a valid (current and not suspended) driver’s license and an acceptable driving record. A driving record that includes, for example, a conviction for a serious motor vehicle violation such as DUI or DWI within the past 5 years will not be acceptable.
· Bachelor’s degree preferred;
· Strong reading, verbal, and written communication skills;
· Self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented, and able to convey the importance of the study to respondents;
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and in a team environment;
· Comfortable working in unfamiliar locations, knocking on doors, and communicating with people from all walks of life and socio-economic groups;
· Comfortable using a laptop computer and iPhone and with establishing Wi-Fi connections in various locations;
· Display professional appearance and demeanor;
· Work consistently in an organized manner;
· Flexible in working assigned tasks; and
· Able to read and use maps efficiently.
Residents of New York City or Philadelphia must apply to the specific location requisition.
FULL-TIME CONTINUOUS TRAVEL IS REQUIRED with a 1-year minimum commitment.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a background screening based on the specific position, which will include, at a minimum, criminal records history.
Hourly rate is based on experience. This is a non-exempt position and is eligible for overtime pay. This position is full-time hourly and is initially eligible for group benefits. Benefits include performance incentives, paid lodging, daily per diem, company car and insurance, two annual paid vacations, ESOP, and 401(k). Working on this study can be a fascinating, rewarding experience. If you are a reliable self-starter, this position may be right for you.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under applicable law.
Requisition ID 17081